Viking Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my wheels just showed up, and what do you know--the lug nuts PureOffroad.com said they would include weren't included with the shipment. To add insult to injury I just called to try to sort it out and a recorded message said they were closed from 4/8 thru 4/11 (today!) so they could be out having some fun. I called the local Yamaha dealer parts department to check their stock--said they could order Yamaha lug nuts. I explained I didn't need Yamaha lug nuts, but aftermarket, like they would use if they installed aftermarket wheels. He acted like I was speaking a foreign language, but they could try to match something up if I brought in a lug nut to compare.

I hate bad parts people.

So wise folk, any suggestions for tracking down a local source (like auto parts chain or competing brand) that might have a usuable equivalent? I found out the Kawasaki Teryx uses the 12mm x 1.25 tapered, but is an acorn type, not open. Will that work? BTW-the local Kawasaki dealer is also the Yamaha dealer.

I'll go hassle them at lunch, but I'm not holding out much hope. Disappointed the wheels won't be installed this weekend.:(

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Correct it is 12mm x 1.25 Tapered.

He said he found some some, but there acorn, not open? The Vikings are not open either i dont think, like the stockers are.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to both the Honda/Polaris and Yamaha/Kawasaki dealers at lunch.
Kid at the Honda dealer (obviously green) said they didn't stock any aftermarket lugs even though there was a packet of 8 on the pegboard right behind him. Useless.

Talked to the Yamaha parts manager--they don't keep them in stock. They order what they need for the wheels they install/replace. At least she was helpful enough to go check with the service department to see if they had any out there. Nope, but I appreciated her effort to at least check.

I knew I should have double-checked that they were being sent, but since he said they would include them, I took him at his word.

Life is full of lots of little disappointments. Installed pics will have to wait until next week. Bummer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There might still be a chance . . .

I just looked at the PureOffroad site and searched lug nuts--the page says they include with every wheel order, but they are mailed US Postal Service.

So, maybe they will be in the mailbox when I get home? Anyone want to place some bets on that one?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or "beveled."

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
My bad, sometimes i type faster than i think, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I got my tire/wheel package and lug nuts from Rocky Mtn ATV. The Viking was new when i got it, so they really hadnt heard of it, and didn't know what lugs to send, so they told me 10mm would work, which i think is what the Rhino used?? But anyways, got all my stuff in, and the 10mm wouldn't work, so called them up, and they sent me some 12mm free of charge via USPS. Sold the 10mm for what i paid for them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MNT's link got me to thinking/searching. Tuner wheel nuts and in the correct size. Will check the auto parts stores after i check my mailbox.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Nothing in the mailbox. ****

AutoZone--right size, wrong style (hex lock), empty bin for chrome splined.

O'Reilly's--right size, but chrome. Purchased just in case.

Napa--nada

Pep-Boy's--Jackpot! Black. Splined. 12-1.25 tapered.

Sold in set of 20 with socket and cost 32.99 plus tax.
I'll post pics later--have to pack up, drive an hour, unload.

Thanks again to M-N-T for inspiration.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took a quick pic

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Success!! Installed wheels. Too dark for pics tonight. I'll take some in the a.m and post on the tire picture thread.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Nothing in the mailbox. ****

AutoZone--right size, wrong style (hex lock), empty bin for chrome splined.

O'Reilly's--right size, but chrome. Purchased just in case.

Napa--nada

Pep-Boy's--Jackpot! Black. Splined. 12-1.25 tapered.

Sold in set of 20 with socket and cost 32.99 plus tax.
I'll post pics later--have to pack up, drive an hour, unload.

Thanks again to M-N-T for inspiration.
Glad I could help. And, like you said, that special socket is a bit of a theft deterrent .

Post some pic's when you can.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sure they would go for the whole package before they went for just the wheels, but every l'il bit of security helps in this day and time. But i really love the way the lug nuts have disappeared into the black wheel. I woulda been stuck with chrome accents had i not known . . .

(now i just have to remember where i stuck that special socket!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Call cocompents directly. cocomponets.com They are the mfg. of the M12 diesel wheels. Available in chrome and black. VEry helpful with no BS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts