Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the viking out for a rabbit hunt a week or so ago, bagged a heap and bought three fat ones home for the pot. My Browning T-Bolt in 17HMR was spot on as usual, I love that gun and that round! I use a Lightforce Pred9X scope mount spotlight, it is an LED with a wireless remote on and off, and is perfect for the 17HMR. I also use a Powabeam 9 inch handheld if another person is with me.

We spent about three hours driving around the farm shooting rabbits, there are hundreds here and they are very tame. The only downside to shooting close range (100 meters or so) in the Viking is the noise it makes, it was scaring the rabbits before we got to them. That could have also been the fact that they haven't heard that particular engine before, and they may get used to it. They aren't scared by the tractors etc on the farm.

The Viking was great to shoot out of, plenty of room for two people with the middle seat great to put jackets and spotlights down on. The passenger grab bar was perfect as a gun rest.

I cooked half the rabbits as a spicy Italian style with red wine, and ended up putting Arborio rice in as a type of Paella. It was fantastic with the extended family loving it and feasting away. The next night I did battered and fried rabbit, the kids loved it with the 4 year old asking for more KFC lol. A couple of pics.

Attachments

Reactions: mjn and bd_skrillz

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Looks delish

·
Registered
86 Posts
No better game meat in my opinion. Yum!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nothing like hunting up your own meal!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Making my mouth water

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, it was very good eating!

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah chicken is the closest way of describing it. The flesh is firmer though and it has more flavor.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
It is like a dark meat chicken but a little gamey. That is not saying it isn't good.

Reactions: cactus

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is like a dark meat chicken but a little gamey. That is not saying it isn't good.
That's about spot on BM.

So my rabbits have now gone feral and are destroying my Green Tea Plantation. The bastards are ripping the bark off the trunks of the tea plants. It's taken me 3 or 4 years of very hard work to get my tea plants to the state they are at, I am now officially the biggest Green Tea grower in NSW (a state of Australia, we only have a few!) and as such I have declared war! The Browning T-Bolt has gone back in the gun safe, and my Beretta 12 Gauge Semi-Auto has come out! YARRRR! Time for a massacre!! This is some of the damage that they have wreaked in one night. A few more nights of this and the plants are ring barked dead.

It's now 12pm and the Beretta and I am off on a Wabbit hunt. Oh yeah, I've been feeding them up on Pindone (same as rat bait) for the last week, so hopefully they are all dead already!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
That's about spot on BM.

So my rabbits have now gone feral and are destroying my Green Tea Plantation. The bastards are ripping the bark off the trunks of the tea plants. It's taken me 3 or 4 years of very hard work to get my tea plants to the state they are at, I am now officially the biggest Green Tea grower in NSW (a state of Australia, we only have a few!) and as such I have declared war! The Browning T-Bolt has gone back in the gun safe, and my Beretta 12 Gauge Semi-Auto has come out! YARRRR! Time for a massacre!! This is some of the damage that they have wreaked in one night. A few more nights of this and the plants are ring barked dead.

It's now 12pm and the Beretta and I am off on a Wabbit hunt. Oh yeah, I've been feeding them up on Pindone (same as rat bait) for the last week, so hopefully they are all dead already! More to follow.
Problem I see with poison is that it works its way up the food chain and can kill helpful critters like vultures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem I see with poison is that it works its way up the food chain and can kill helpful critters like vultures.

Yes I agree entirely. We have a government department here called the Food Authority who force us chicken farms to use masses of rat bait, I keep arguing with them telling them that all they are doing is killing the native wildlife, Diamond Pythons, Little Eagles, Wedge Tailed Eagles, Sea Eagles, Kites, Goannas, plus various snakes all of which I have on my farm. As soon as a rat is sick from poison it becomes easy prey for the predators, therefore killing them too. If you don't use rat bait everything forms a natural level where the predators keep the rodents under control, mostly. I only use Pindone as a last resort, and as it is a first generation anticoagulant it takes a lot to eat before it kills, which means after a few days of baiting I can then shoot the rabbits a lot easier, they don't move as fast, and then pick up the dead, so no threat to the native wildlife.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Yes I agree entirely. We have a government department here called the Food Authority who force us chicken farms to use masses of rat bait, I keep arguing with them telling them that all they are doing is killing the native wildlife, Diamond Pythons, Little Eagles, Wedge Tailed Eagles, Sea Eagles, Kites, Goannas, plus various snakes all of which I have on my farm. As soon as a rat is sick from poison it becomes easy prey for the predators, therefore killing them too. If you don't use rat bait everything forms a natural level where the predators keep the rodents under control, mostly. I only use Pindone as a last resort, and as it is a first generation anticoagulant it takes a lot to eat before it kills, which means after a few days of baiting I can then shoot the rabbits a lot easier, they don't move as fast, and then pick up the dead, so no threat to the native wildlife.
Maybe you could hang carrots from a 240v wire. That way you won't even need to cook them.

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe you could hang carrots from a 240v wire. That way you won't even need to cook them.

I like the way you think BM!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Traps? Bait? That said, you've already thought through everything. I guess it's time to go medieval on them.

Reactions: cactus

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Traps? Bait? That said, you've already thought through everything. I guess it's time to go medieval on them.
Job's done skrillz, seven down, I got two babies with the one shotgun cartridge, the old Bushman 32 gram field loads no 6 shot and Papa Beretta did the job! Saw one in the grass, pulled the trigger and got two! Three more big ones later that night so I'm starting to thin them down.

Got three of these all up

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Impressive plants + rabbits + deadeye cacti = hasenpfeffer

1 - 20 of 35 Posts