Viking Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
labor day report

For this weekend ride report I wanted to do something a bit different. Wanted to include video clips, and different angles. As usual, things didn’t quite work out as planned. Ended up screwing up the exposure of my camera, and video files ended up way too large. Will work on my camera skills, ways of compressing files, and a bit more attention to detail.

On the first day, my brother and I started out from the house. The days plan was to travel up to the Hunter Lake/MT Rose wilderness areas We would drop down in the Truckee River Valley. Would access the Icehouse trail, then try and find a ‘backdoor’ way into Truckee.

As usual, things didn’t go as planned (a repeating theme). We were unable to find the Icehouse trail. Our Garmin and its loaded Topo 24K map are ineffective for this area. Most of the trails are very minor, and don’t give good detail of the area.
Still we had an excellent time, fall is coming, the weather brilliant, and aspen’s are getting ready to show its fall colors.
Taking off from home, love it,

The start of the Hunter Lake trail, right next to the Truckee River. Another reason why I love living here
Interesting rock formation, my Brother insisted on the photo, "take something different, a money shot!

Climbing out of the Valley

The drought is taking a toll on the forest, lots of dying trees getting blown down

Lost again! Dang Garmin....POS! (later looking at Google earth, we found out we were only 200 yards away of connecting to the Icehouse trail). It's difficult to see n the photo, but the trail is very steep

At the top, there is an old abandoned wood dam. Pretty neat.

This once was a lake, now its a wilderness area

Aspen's getting ready to turn yellow

Typical trail conditions. Tire killers!

Second day, I took my coworker out to a new area, Blackwood Canyon. Didn’t know anything about it, except for some limited stuff on the Internet. All I really could sort out is that it fed to the famous Rubicon Trail. Seem like it was worth a try.
The trail itself was pretty short, about 5 miles to the Sierra Crest. It ended at a staging area for the Pacific Crest Trail, and then would drop into a deep Valley, where it joined the Rubicon Trail.
Originally was planning to take photos on the way up. Soon as we started, it turned out to be much more than we expected. This trail went straight up some really steep trails. They were so steep; I don’t think I could have made it up on a dirt bike. Additionally, the scenery was incredible. Once committed, our focus was the trail, and not taking photos.
The steepest section was right at the end. Had to use the 4 wheel locking to navigate the last bit. As usual, my Viking amazed me at what it can do. It just chugged up the steep with-out missing a beat. I promise I will return in a couple of weeks to capture some shots of this trail.
After exploring the Rubicon, we decided to chicken out and take the Pacific Crest Trail road back to the staging area. Luck out no contact with the LEO’s (law enforcement officers).

Staging area Blackwood Canyon, my co-worker Tim getting ready

The very last section of the Trail. These photos do not show how steep it is. Had to use 4 wheel locking to make it. Notice Lake Tahoe in the background
Tim starting out, afraid of trashing my rig

Made it, coming down from a nice wheely! Just missed the shot

Exploring the Sierra Rim before dropping down the Rubicon Trail

The Rubicon trail see a fair about of use. I'm not sure who does it, but there is quite a bit of maintance being done. Some part of the trail are filled in with rocks. Makes for some slow going on 25 inch tires. Here is an example. Notice my friend Tim intense look on his face. Guess he so afraid of doing damage to the Viking

Another shot

A section that has not been done, still pretty rough going on 25 inch tires. Not difficult, just slow and lots of bouncing

Some of the rig's seen on the trail

Here are some the heavy equipment working on the Rubicon Trail

Think he's going to have some problems. Don't thing AAA responds to the Rubicon

Well enough for this time, Thanks for taking time to read my ramblings

Stay tuned, another ride report coming...................

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Hey that picture of the Sierra Rim, is that snow there? Or is that just the way it looks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Great pictures again by the way, lol, I need to figure out how I can get down there to go riding with you, with my job, my "weekend" is always every Monday and Tuesday

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
Yeah was wondering if that was snow too. Awesome pics DRZ, thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
great write up and awesome pictures!! it still amazes and angers me how other states are maintaining and opening trails for off road use and were i live they just keep shutting down and blocking trails and fine people for being on them

·
Registered
136 Posts
Agreed with all said above...looks like you have too much fun!!

ever thought about starting a tour guide business?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great pictures again by the way, lol, I need to figure out how I can get down there to go riding with you, with my job, my "weekend" is always every Monday and Tuesday

Maybe well hook up someday. Would love to ride withsomeone. Gets lonely out on trails sometimes. Mydays off are sun and Monday with every other Tues off. I’ve heard of some good riding out towards Tonopah.

Unfortunally, I think my season coming to end soon. Have family responsibilities, and overtimefor the end of September thru the end of November.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great write up and awesome pictures!! it still amazes and angers me how other states are maintaining and opening trails for off road use and were i live they just keep shutting down and blocking trails and fine people for being on them
Yea, I know what you’re saying. Grew up in San Diego. Saw most of riding area there disappear. Then in Maui, Hawaii, was all of my ridingarea’s gone within 2 years. Living hereis like heaven. It’s a dream to be ableto take off from my house. How long itlast, I don’t know. But I’m sure taking advantagedof it while it lasts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts