Viking Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been awol from the board for a while , dealing with a family medical battle......so I had bought a new spark plug a while back and decided yesterday that I'd change it. I had the absolute hardest time ever just getting the plug wire cap off the plug. Then when we put the new plug in and popped the plug wire back on , it is sloppy loose and doesn't seem to pop into the plug cap at all. I did double check the plug is correct and there was no screwon tip on either the new or old plug so I tried to crimp the copper fitting inside the plug cap without tearing the rubber.......made it a hair better but I still don't like it. Has anyone else had this problem? Have a solution? Maybe change out the plug wire, that doesn't look simple either as it goes to a relay box and is in a tight spot with other electrical stuff coming off it.....machine has 600 miles and 63 hrs....

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
The only time I've seen that happen is when the screw on tip is missing on the new plug, but you said there wasn't one on either plug. Seems strange, can you see inside the spark plug cap to see if anything is missing? Maybe a piece fell out and you didn't notice?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are threaded stud tipped plugs so there is nothing to screw into the threads at the top of the plug. I found a YouTube video that showed I could just turn the plug cap off counter clockwise and replace the plug cap. The part number thru Yamaha is 5B4-82370-00-00 . It's $42 !!! I just need to find a compatible NGK or other aftermarket plug cap and twist it back onto the plug wire. Must make sure it is compatible cause the threaded stud on the top of the plug has to work with the new plug cap. Also has to be the right size so the plug wire fits snugly. Anyone know where to look? I called Dennis Kirk and must've got the slowest employee they've ever hired and she barely understood what a plug cap was.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
I just pulled mine, the plug cap was very tight but came off with some wiggling, as you said the top of the spark plug just has the threaded bit sticking up, they don't use the metal screw on bit. When I put the plug cap back on it feels lose but isn't, I think it's just the way it's made. I don't like replacing plug caps because of computers and electronic injection etc. Maybe yours just felt loose but wasn't, see if it starts with the original cap, if it runs fine I wouldn't go separating the plug cap from the lead.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately i somehow wrecked the original cap while twisting it off , I was maybe not the most cautious as I was getting pretty irritated by then.....I did luck out tho......as we were walking today I saw a neighbor who was working on a Yamaha 4 wheels and as I explained my hunt for the proper replacement spark plug cap......he goes to his garbage and pulls out a complete plug wire with plug cap assembly and says to try taking that cap and twisting it onto my Viking spark wire......perfect fit, ....$0 out of pocket ,!!! Very nice

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
327 Posts
I know this is an old thread but my problem is similar. I took the cap off spark plug today to check, clean & gap and struggled a little to get it off but not extreme, as I moved the cap & wire to the side the boot just fell off the plug wire😳😡. I put a dab or dielectric grease on the edge of the wire slide it back on as far as it would go then after cleaning and checking the plug gap I put a small dab of dielectric grease on the edges of the boot so it will come off easier next time. But my problem now is it won’t start 😡 I have no spark. When I turn the key nothing happens. I took it all apart and cleaned out the dielectric grease from everything and installed a new spark plug let it lay on top of motor to watch for a spark and still nothing. Any ideas? I’m thinking I need a new plug wire assembly and hoping it will be covered under warranty

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
327 Posts
I know this is an old thread but my problem is similar. I took the cap off spark plug today to check, clean & gap and struggled a little to get it off but not extreme, as I moved the cap & wire to the side the boot just fell off the plug wire😳😡. I put a dab or dielectric grease on the edge of the wire slide it back on as far as it would go then after cleaning and checking the plug gap I put a small dab of dielectric grease on the edges of the boot so it will come off easier next time. But my problem now is it won’t start 😡 I have no spark. When I turn the key nothing happens. I took it all apart and cleaned out the dielectric grease from everything and installed a new spark plug let it lay on top of motor to watch for a spark and still nothing. Any ideas? I’m thinking I need a new plug wire assembly and hoping it will be covered under warranty
Sorry I’m an idiot. I had parked it in the barn yesterday and l left it in gear 🙄 something I never do, I did well on frustrating myself LoL 😝

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I spent almost 3 hours trying to figure out why I couldn’t get my kid’s car bumper lights to turn on... I pulled fuses I struggled I tried and then realized they are reverse lights. Pulled the bumper off twice!

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
327 Posts
It does LOL 😂

1 - 9 of 9 Posts