Viking Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Motoalliance Denali Pro Plow for 3 seasons now. I had purchased it from their scratch 'n dent sale for $399 which was a terrific bargain. I would like to add that their customer support is terrific and they act very quickly to resolve any customer complaints and issues.

The first two seasons it was used to plow my paved driveway, cul-de-sac and a level, rock-free pasture with a sandy surface. It did a great job and held up pretty well.

These are the issues I have had:

1. My plow mount broke and twisted EXACTLY the same way as a number of other forum members. Note that Motoalliance replaced it free of charge under warranty, quickly and without any problems. Since the number of forum members represents a very small percentage of Viking & Denali Pro Plow owners, and more than one had the identical issue, one can assume that there is some kind of design flaw in the mount. Personally, I believe the issue is tied to the fact that the push-tubes are angled instead of straight and will exert a side-ways or spreading force on the mounting lugs. Motoalliance could fix this pretty easily by bending them inward near the ends and adding a cross bar.

Here is a picture of Howland's broken mount (mine was absolutely identical):

Here is a pic showing how my replacement mount was re-enforced by my local welding shop (so far so good):

2. The mounting pins work themselves out. My mounting pins will work themselves free, losing the retaining washers in the process. I need to keep checking them and tapping them back in place as I plow. Once my workshop is fully unpacked, I will probably drill a hole in each for a cotter pin. At least one forum member had a pin fall out leading to a significant problem. The plow skids are retained by a nifty pin with a spring-loaded loop that keeps them in place. These would be perfect for keeping the mounting pins in place.

3. The very bottom of the plow blade where the wear bar attaches bends easily. I have noticed the the bottom of the plow blade bends easily, especially at the corners. This happens even when I plowed my paved driveway and cul-de-sac. At the end of the season I had to hammer it back into shape with a sledge hammer and replace the wear bar. While it might add a few buck to the cost of the blade, a few re-enforcing gussets would really help. Here is what mine looked like:

My new place has a dirt/gravel driveway that is almost 1/2 mile long and is in need of maintenance. Even if I raise the blade a bit, the plow takes a beating. We got 24" of snow yesterday and I had to plow it over and over again all day long. Considering the number of passes I made, I must have plowed between 20 and 25 miles of nastiness. I had noticed that throughout the day things got more and more smooth with each pass. It turns out that this is because the entire bottom of the blade, where the wear bar is located, is now bent under at a slight rearward angle. At first I was thinking WTF??!!?? but now I believe that this is exactly what needed to happen. The plow can now be fully lowered and will slide over the gravel driveway instead of buck every time it hits something.

Summary:

For light or moderate use the Denali Pro plow is a fantastic deal, especially if you buy it during a spring scratch 'n dent sale. With a small amount of re-enforcement to the mount and blade edge, it should hold up very well to years of heavy usage.

Reactions: howland36

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so it is time to replace my plow before fall and the prices go up. Since I did this review I beat the heck out of the Denali Pro for 2 more years by plowing miles and miles of gravel driveway. All in all it did great.

I just dropped a note to Motoalliance to see if they have any for the Viking, but on the website it looked like for the red, 66" ones, that was a "no" till sometime in the fall. I don't need anything fancy like powered turning, just a good solid plow at a good price. Does anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a few email I learned that they do have the plow I wanted in Black. That is fine, I will just spray the skull and crossbones in white when it comes. Since I still have a mount I saved $99 so the total for my Denali Pro plow was $585. No tax or shipping. I used the 10% off code facebook10.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts