Viking Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Viking VI
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sunk my Viking Vi in the mud. Upon pulling out I found the clutch housing filled with clay-like mud. I replaced the primary fixed and sliding sheaves and belt due to grooves in the sheaves. no problems with the gas or oil, but I cannot figure out what is causing a rev-limiter like issue when I go over 12 mpg. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
297 Posts
Do you have the driver's seat belt plugged in? Can't remember if that's required on the newest ones. Not an issue on my 2017. Also, is your diff lock disengaged?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
I’m betting that when you put the primary back together one or two of the roller weights fell out of place. That happened to me the first time I took one apart and back together which was on my Kodiak 700. You have to keep pressure on the cam plate so the roller weights don’t move out of place. I use 3 pieces of a old garden hose about 3” long wedged in between the cam plate and sheave while putting it back together so that doesn’t happen again.
What your describing is what happens when they are out of place. Take it apart again and I bet that’s what you will find.

Reactions: cactus

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Viking VI
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have the driver's seat belt plugged in? Can't remember if that's required on the newest ones. Not an issue on my 2017. Also, is your diff lock disengaged?
I am going to check this again later tonight. I know my belt is always buckled, but my seats were floating when I went into the mud. They might have been damaged or mud got into them. I will check. Thanks

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Viking VI
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m betting that when you put the primary back together one or two of the roller weights fell out of place. That happened to me the first time I took one apart and back together which was on my Kodiak 700. You have to keep pressure on the cam plate so the roller weights don’t move out of place. I use 3 pieces of a old garden hose about 3” long wedged in between the cam plate and sheave while putting it back together so that doesn’t happen again.
What your describing is what happens when they are out of place. Take it apart again and I bet that’s what you will find.
I thought the same thing based off of what I was reading in these forums. I pulled it apart again this afternoon and put it back together similar to how you just described with not change. I did notice however that the cam plate was seized upon taking it apart. It seemed to be free floating when I put it back in. I am wondering if that will need replacement as well.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
It might. How are the sliders? How much grease did you use?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
Did you service the secondary also? How about the wet clutch? Did you pull that out and check it?

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Viking VI
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you service the secondary also? How about the wet clutch? Did you pull that out and check it?
I did service the secondary, but did not replace as it seemed fine.
I did not pull the wet clutch. I will be honest, I was slightly concerned about opening the guts of the clutch. I have been watching videos and getting more comfortable. Worth looking at before I pay a shop. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
297 Posts
A roller falling out will definitely create issues. If it seems like a rev limiter kicking in, theoretically it should be an electronic issue the way it seems to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
As said is your diff lock disengaged? Could it be a fault with it due to it being swamped?

None of the fault codes cause a speed limiter, they either won't let you start the engine or still let you drive with a check engine light on depending on how serious the fault is.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Viking VI
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As said is your diff lock disengaged? Could it be a fault with it due to it being swamped?

None of the fault codes cause a speed limiter, they either won't let you start the engine or still let you drive with a check engine light on depending on how serious the fault is.
I checked my diff lock yesterday by engaging and disengaging. I heard the typical clicking of the diff in place and out, as well as my indicator light functioning properly. I agree with a previous post that it sounds like an electrical issue, but I have no faults on my computer to follow.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Viking VI
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update for all…rear seatbelts needed to be buckled and then the machine ran fine. Did not need to do that prior to the sinking the machine in the mud, only the driver’s seatbelt was required. Don’ know if something was damaged in the seatbelts from the water, but now it runs fine.
thanks for all of the suggestions and help with my troubleshooting.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
wtf?

• Haha
Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Registered
2018 camo VI
369 Posts
Well that’s a new one…… didn’t even think the rears had sensors on them.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Viking VI
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I completely agree!!! I ripped the clutch apart multiple times thinking that was the issue, finally got frustrated and was just about to bring it to the shop and read through the posts again and saw about the driver’s seat belt. Decided to plug them all in and all of a sudden it worked. Unplugged the back and the rev limiter kicked in again.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
You could disconnect the switch inside the seatbelt buckle that way buckled or unbuckled everything will work fine. I disconnected the only one my Viking had which was the driver’s seatbelt because I got tired of the alarm every time I forgot to use it, or keeping it buckled behind the seat.
Great find tho, never would have guessed since I only have 3 seats 😁

1 - 19 of 19 Posts