Viking Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 vikings a 14 and a 19. Loved the 14 but Miles were getting high and was getting scared because I'm often 80-100 miles from truck. Bought a 19 after looking at all manufacturers products. Still love the 14. Hate the 19. Over 17000 Miles on 14. 19 has almost 6000 miles and headed to the shop for the third rebuild because of the middle gear (I'm assuming). I'm also on the 3rd rear differential. I'm seriously thinking something is not lined up right.

What's your thoughts?

Both machines are used identically. I hunt all year for lion and then whatever else I draw a tag for.

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
You could be right on alignments.
why do you think it is the middle gear, cases broken? What was done on the last 2 rebuilds?
What went wrong with previous rear diffs? Oil issues? (Need more details)

Reactions: cactus

· Registered
606 Posts
what is your mph,i;m wondering if higher speeds have something to do with y0ur dif issues.i know mine get hot at high speeds.i believe the viking has the same diffs as my wolverine had and they were not built by yamaha.are they rebuilding the diffs or replacing with new?

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
Good point trailcutter, there are threads here about that and installing heat shields.

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
The 14 and 19 are exactly the same build so it's unusual that your 19 is doing that, it should be just as reliable as the 14 and every other Viking out there. What sort of terrain are you riding?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First two rebuild were because of middle gear. This one is acting the same way. 1st diff lasted about 5000 miles. It was rebuilt at the shop. The rebuild lasted about 400 miles. They put a brand new one in and that's the one it's still running. The first two diffs shit the bearing out on front end.

My speed is not at high speeds. I'm always on back roads and mostly in 4wheel drive. Very seldom do I hit 40 mph. Mostly under 25 and probably alot less actually.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cactus, the terrain is typical out west I'm in Nevada. Steep roads / canyon bottoms. Yes Vikings are basically the same. 14 has been clutched for 27-28" tired and clutch slugged. 19 is bone stock other than 26" tires. Both have 2" lifts. I'm typically hauling 6-7 hounds. Like I said before I do the same stuff with both machines the 19 just likes to be in the shop.

· Registered
606 Posts
Cactus, the terrain is typical out west I'm in Nevada. Steep roads / canyon bottoms. Yes Vikings are basically the same. 14 has been clutched for 27-28" tired and clutch slugged. 19 is bone stock other than 26" tires. Both have 2" lifts. I'm typically hauling 6-7 hounds. Like I said before I do the same stuff with both machines the 19 just likes to be in the shop.
how many hours do you have on each machine?

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
You know there is probably more miles on your Vikings than they show simply because of the larger tire sizes.

· Registered
2018 camo VI
382 Posts
What were some signs that the middle gear was going out?

· Registered
606 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts