Viking Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Title pretty much tells the tale of the newest problem I am having. When I engage the interlock 4x4 switch the motor starts to cut out, running rough, like it wants to stall when you give it a little gas. This has happened to me all three times that I have used the Interlock 4x4 switch.

The Unit as a whole now has only 10.4 hours on it and maybe 50 miles on a brand new machine. I am hopeful some one else has had the same issue and can chime in with the fix.

Another issue I have noticed that when I am just starting to back out of the garage with the stock tires and wheels, they feel like they are struggling, like they are bent and very noisy. Might just be me and being new to the side by sides, so I am a little tweeky yet with new noises.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. :nerd:

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
Don't panic, the engine cut out is normal when you select diff lock, the computer won't let the engine rev until the diff lock is fully engaged, which can take quite a while sometimes. Also the struggling rear tires are form you trying to turn on pavement, as the Viking has a permanently locked rear diff both wheels always turn at the same speed, so when you turn, the inside one has to slip a lot to turn at the same speed as the outside one, which isn't as noticeable on dirt, but is on pavement.

Reactions: robleticia

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't panic, the engine cut out is normal when you select diff lock, the computer won't let the engine rev until the diff lock is fully engaged, which can take quite a while sometimes. Also the struggling rear tires are form you trying to turn on pavement, as the Viking has a permanently locked rear diff both wheels always turn at the same speed, so when you turn, the inside one has to slip a lot to turn at the same speed as the outside one, which isn't as noticeable on dirt, but is on pavement.

Ok then, sounds like I am just a little to new to the Viking and I need to let myself get acclimated to the quirks. Thank you for the help.

· Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Manshoon, don't listen to cactus, he chases dingos in the bush all night! Just kidding, he knows his ****! Make sure your fully engaged and the light is not flashing. Give it a slight tap on the petal if it wont. They are a little hard to get into lock or even gear for that matter at first but they get a lot easier as they break in. Good luck and keep us posted. AND welcome to the forum!

· Registered
7,326 Posts
Manshoon, don't listen to cactus, he chases dingos in the bush all night! Just kidding, he knows his ****! Make sure your fully engaged and the light is not flashing. Give it a slight tap on the petal if it wont. They are a little hard to get into lock or even gear for that matter at first but they get a lot easier as they break in. Good luck and keep us posted. AND welcome to the forum!
Ah, but what is Cactus' ultimate goal with the dingos? I am sure Wacky has an opinion but I am afraid to see it.

Difflock will usuall engage as you turn the front wheel back and forth as you slowly drive. The manual explains as much. If you engage, drive and disengage it every day, it will drop right in after a week or two. It just need break in.

Reactions: robleticia

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
I cut the rear axle and installed a sleave with top welded to axle just drives with one rear tire but made turning on pavement a lot smoother and doesn't tear up your turf either just my 2 cents worth
Interesting. Can you post some pictures of this and more details? How does 4 wheel drive work now?
What I’m picturing in my mind then is you will only ever have one drive wheel in the rear.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

· Registered
224 Posts
I cut the rear axle and installed a sleave with top welded to axle just drives with one rear tire but made turning on pavement a lot smoother and doesn't tear up your turf either just my 2 cents worth

I'm envisioning a Honda style--3 wheel drive.
could the rear diff experience any damage by eliminating the torque created by the solid hook up, and now not having that torque in it ??

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
I tried opening Loghauler’s profile and looks like he was removed the forum for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
I tried opening Loghauler’s profile and looks like he was removed the forum for some reason. 🤷‍♂️
I could open it so I don't think so?

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
Interesting. Can you post some pictures of this and more details? How does 4 wheel drive work now?
What I’m picturing in my mind then is you will only ever have one drive wheel in the rear.
I wouldn't do it, the sleeve would have to be made without any slop, which means without having bearings or at least grease points in it it would wear out fast.

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
He maybe one of those one and done posters. We will see.

Reactions: cactus
1 - 12 of 12 Posts