Viking Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's blowing the coolant out of the overflow and the engine is overheating need help what do i do the coolant in the rad is warm but not hot in a 2014 yahama viking

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
327 Posts
Have you tried anything yet? Is the fan coming on? I would start with the thermostat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried anything yet? Is the fan coming on? I would start with the thermostat.
Just bought got home drove it a couple miles and it over heated let it cool down. Limped home. Found out cool in fan was screwed.replaced it ànd drove it it over heated again. this time I screwed the head gasket and pushed coolant into oil. Took it 2 a shop and they did the head gasket said the head was still good. Drove it wen it got home and again it over heated. Then I checked thermostat and it was stuck wide open. Changed that and checked water pump and it seemed good. Now wen it idles fan cuts in and out like it should but wen motor heats up it pushes coolant out the over flow and I wash my hands in hotter water then what blows out of rad. I have ran outta things to try. Where is the temperature sensors located?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Stuck wide open thermostat is an indication that it overheated probably do to lack of coolant. When you say shop, do you mean a Yamaha dealer or small engine shop? Did they fill and bleed the coolant system properly? Water in the oil could also be a leaking water pump seal.

The temp sending unit is the electric plug closest to the top of the thermostat housing.

Reactions: cactus

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also when its running with the cap off, do you see bubbles in the coolant or in the overflow jug with the cap on?

Do you have access to a service manual? There is a very specific way to bleed all the air out of the coolant system. It's real easy to not get all the air out.

Reactions: cactus

·
Registered
93 Posts
The more I think about it, if the coolant is not terribly hot, but the fan is cycling on and off, I would almost bet money there is a compression leak at the head gasket. Cylinder pressure is leaking in to the cooling system. I'll bet it runs ok with the radiator cap off but spews out coolant with the cap on.

I had that situation with mine. Rebuilt the engine, overheated it, determined I had blown the head gasket, replaced the head gasket again, had bubbles in the coolant, determined I had not bled it correctly and overheated again, replaced head gasket again. No bubbles, no problem....

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Haha Blue Bull, you're spot on!!

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
327 Posts
Did you get this resolved yet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts