Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many of you have had the first service done at your dealer. What are you all paying for this first service?

I bought a service manual and do all the maintainence on my vehicles (Harley, ATV, Cars and trucks), but I have never dealt with a belt drive machine before. So I thought I would see what the average cost is to do the first service and to make sure I get the best deal possible at my dealer if I choose to go that route. Thanks for any input...

Reactions: dstoker

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Mine was $227 after the $50 coupon i used, you get the coupon from Yamaha, after doing the survey, you get in the mail after your pruchase. I did it online and printed out the coupon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That actually sounds really fair... Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have read many of you have had the first service done at your dealer. What are you all paying for this first service?

I bought a service manual and do all the maintainence on my vehicles (Harley, ATV, Cars and trucks), but I have never dealt with a belt drive machine before. So I thought I would see what the average cost is to do the first service and to make sure I get the best deal possible at my dealer if I choose to go that route. Thanks for any input...
I too have always done my own service...3 trucks.. Several dirtbikes two quads and two harleys......please dont take your viking to the dealer and get screwed out of 300 dollars...if you have a fair understanding of engines, and own a grease gun its simple and cost me 48 dollars...it WILL NOT void your warranty..(keep receipt for oil and filter)..nothing at all needs done with your belt and doesnt have anything to do with the first service...valve adjustment wouldnt need checked until over 100 hrs from what my local service shop told me.. Just my two cents

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. My service manual should be here any day. I will make up my mind on what to do then. I know I'm capable, just not sure if i'm willing. Thanks again you were a big help. One more machine to service in the garage. Gets a bit overwhelming at times, but it's the price you pay to have cool toys.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
They sale them on eBay, that's where I got mine

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thanks for the input. My service manual should be here any day. I will make up my mind on what to do then. I know I'm capable, just not sure if i'm willing. Thanks again you were a big help. One more machine to service in the garage. Gets a bit overwhelming at times, but it's the price you pay to have cool toys.
From experience,,, Yamaha did a good job making things easily accessable on this machine... Only thing Id recommend is getting a longer (transmission style) funnel to fill the front diff.. And a Nipple style top on the quart is what I used to fill the rear..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have both the funnel and the nipple style gear lube top. Thanks for the help. I also bought mine on ebay, $25.00 with free shipping. Looks like the seller had several of these, but it is not listed any more.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I paid right at $73 for my Manual.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I paid right at $73 for my Manual.
Mine was a second, I think. Said it has some slight smearing on some of the pages; however, was gauranteed it was legible and usable. Worth a shot for 25 bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Heck yeah, I would of got that one for 25

·
Registered
46 Posts
sorry I know this is an older thread, but I was quoted over $400 for the initial service and I was also told point blank that if the Valves are not inspected/adjusted during the first service "by a Yamaha certified tech" then the warranty would be voided as this is a new machine for Yamaha and they are being somewhat anal retentive regarding the warranty on them.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
I'm not sure about in the US but here motor vehicles have to be serviced by the dealer or a licensed mechanic, if you do it yourself you void the warranty. I guess the Viking would be the same, makes it expensive when you've got a 3 year warranty! I'll ring Yamaha on Monday and check for sure though.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
Mines just hit twenty hours too.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I know it's an older thread starter, but I thought I'd add to it.

My Yamaha dealer charged me $167 for it. $42 in parts, 1.5hr labor. The invoice showed that they changed the spark plug, engine oil & filter, front & rear diff fluid, cleaned air filter, checked coolant (added some since apparently it was already low).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts