LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Unread 09-29-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Died on a mountain side.

As many know, I have been building up my Search and Rescue 2015 EPS for the better of 7 months. This last two weeks, I took it out on a shake down workout during archery elk season. It ran really great and took all of the off road trails and open skid trails without a wink for 95 miles hard driving, * * * until mile number 96, then it fell apart 10 miles off main dirt road. I was slowing from 8 mph to 3 mph and all of a sudden I had a loud squealing sound from my rear end or clutch area with the smell of burning rubber ( presumed that to be the drive belt). I babied it back the twenty miles to camp and shut it down to cool off. The next day, while in neutral, I rev it up and the belt starts to smell and smoke again. I had to winch the unit onto the trailer as the drive gear would not move forward or backward with the engine itself. I am home now and will start tearing it down tomorrow to see how much and what damage was done to the unit. I also hope to figure out if the clutch belt burning was the problem, or a result of the problem. I really put a lot of time and effort into building this thing up correctly so am sort of bummed out, but **** happens (as they say).
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Unread 09-30-2019, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Sounds like a belt

Let us know what ya find
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Unread 09-30-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, I dove into the problem and quickly found that my inner sheave was not turning and my outer one was. Tore into it further and found that the splines on the inner sheave were sheared off, gone, missing, causing all kinds of problems with the belt and plastic cover over the wet clutch. The wet clutch gear and shaft seem to be working just fine. Now I have to find a way to remove all of the burnt rubber material on the main JBS Sheave, buy a few new parts and reassemble and try it out again. The belt got so hot that it started to bubble up and melt. Lucky that a fire did not get started (I do carry a Fire Extinguisher for this purpose). Onward into repairs.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep us posted on the repairs.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-02-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswickard View Post
As many know, I have been building up my Search and Rescue 2015 EPS for the better of 7 months. This last two weeks, I took it out on a shake down workout during archery elk season. It ran really great and took all of the off road trails and open skid trails without a wink for 95 miles hard driving, * * * until mile number 96, then it fell apart 10 miles off main dirt road. I was slowing from 8 mph to 3 mph and all of a sudden I had a loud squealing sound from my rear end or clutch area with the smell of burning rubber ( presumed that to be the drive belt). I babied it back the twenty miles to camp and shut it down to cool off. The next day, while in neutral, I rev it up and the belt starts to smell and smoke again. I had to winch the unit onto the trailer as the drive gear would not move forward or backward with the engine itself. I am home now and will start tearing it down tomorrow to see how much and what damage was done to the unit. I also hope to figure out if the clutch belt burning was the problem, or a result of the problem. I really put a lot of time and effort into building this thing up correctly so am sort of bummed out, but **** happens (as they say).

Was that the first miles you put on your clutch work?
Kurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-02-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
No!, I had put 50 miles on it a few weeks ago. So a total of 148 miles before the splines shearing off. My main thought now is now to resurface both my main Sheave halves and my secondary sheaves. I have a new clutch back plate, belt, rear primary sheave and numerous gaskets on order. JBS Performace had the best price for the sheave so I sent my business to them. The best prices I found with the best selection for the minor additional parts was Babbitt's. I got a belt off of Amazon. Now waiting for all of the Fed-X and UPS packages to arrive. I still have to investigate my rear diff as it got mighty hot too. Anyone have the max angle that the CV joints can endure? I currently have 14 inch clearance on my 27 inch tires. Should I take off my two inch lift kits to bring it down slightly?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-02-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswickard View Post
No!, I had put 50 miles on it a few weeks ago. So a total of 148 miles before the splines shearing off. My main thought now is now to resurface both my main Sheave halves and my secondary sheaves. I have a new clutch back plate, belt, rear primary sheave and numerous gaskets on order. JBS Performace had the best price for the sheave so I sent my business to them. The best prices I found with the best selection for the minor additional parts was Babbitt's. I got a belt off of Amazon. Now waiting for all of the Fed-X and UPS packages to arrive. I still have to investigate my rear diff as it got mighty hot too. Anyone have the max angle that the CV joints can endure? I currently have 14 inch clearance on my 27 inch tires. Should I take off my two inch lift kits to bring it down slightly?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-02-2019, 09:20 PM

I do know what happened seeing I had the same thing the first time I put one together. You didnít have the outside splines lined up and pushed all the way on and instead just had the nut tightened up against it. This will last a while but not long. Itís very easy to do!!! When you put it together the second time knowing this will make total sense. This causes way too much stress on the inside splines. It sucks but no way no how will you grind them off any other way. The wet clutch would slip long before youíd strip them.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-07-2019, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Garage
IMO you're fine with the 2" lift. I ended up with Rhino axles on mine after bending both stock ones but ran the fronts well over 6000 miles with a 2" lift and no issues. do you have a heat shield over the rear diff? it makes a difference, but they still get very hot. kurt is correct from all the times I've read about stripped splines it always been from not getting it on all the way. good luck on the rebuild.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Would it hurt to use emory paper (medium and the fine) on the Sheave surfaces? kurtw7284, your diagnosis sounds like you hit it on the head. After it fell apart, as I took it apart, that was my thought that I did not align it correctly. Thanks for the input.

User Tag List