14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Viking 700 Gas in Airbox

Hi, guys. Have a 2015 viking with 1800 miles and 300 hours. I had an issue earlier this week with the check engine light coming on intermittently. It went out the last few days but I noticed that my air filter has a lot of gas soaked up in it. I changed the oil and it smelled gassy too. Any ideas what to look at? The air filter has an area soaked with gas probably around 5 to 6 inches long and wide. I remember changing the filter last year and seeing the old one soaked too. We do a lot of short trips but it seems odd to see so much gas in there. It seems to be running ok. Like I said the check engine light is now off. Not sure what that was about. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
On lawn mowers, it's usually because the carb float is stuck. No idea about a bike engine.

Anyone?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
For some reason the crankcase had gas in it, and the level was high enough that oil/fuel entered the air box through the breather line. Why the CC had fuel in it is the question. Wonder if the injector was hung open or something along those lines.
Chuggy500 likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey guys,

Thanks for the thoughts. I talked to my dealer and they suspect its the injector. I ordered one and hope to have it in a week or so. I also purchased a fuel tank valve to try too. I sent an oil sample off to Blackstone Labs for testing. After only two hours of use it tested and had sheared the Rotella 5w40 to to 5w30. It tested with 2.5% fuel dilution. They said you appear to have some type of engine/fuel issue. I adjusted the valves the other day and cleaned the air filter again. Slowly working through the issue. You guys don't think the rings are shot? I reported the hours wrong above, I only have 150 hours on the unit (4 years old). I changed the oil in it again because it reeked of fuel again and had thinned again. Dipstick had already risen from 1/2 to 3/4 full. Switched from the Rotella to Maxima SxS 10w40. Just trying everything. I'm not real familiar with engines like all of you but have been watching YouTube videos and reading. Is there anyway to get at those codes that are in the ECU? I had a check engine light that kept coming on intermittently but it cleared itself after I changed the oil. I am curious what the ECU stored. Worried that this maybe something expensive and am starting to wonder if I shouldn't get rid of the Viking but it fits our needs well. Just hoping its not something big.

Anyway appreciate all your advice.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Youre doing all this with the same possible bad injector?? Obviously the oil is getting fuel in it.. Either from the bad injector, a sensor, or bad ECM thats telling the injector to send in excess fuel.

Do you have a service manual? If not get one or take the machine to the dealer.

In the mean time, I would stop using the machine and changing the oil.

Did you buy it privately? Sucks but the guy that sold it to you was probably aware of the issue, or its very coincidental. Definitely don't sell it to someone without disclosing this info..

The problem isn't major, its an injector, sensor, or ECM, not a bad engine - yet.. Using it with fuel diluted oil can and will cause engine damage.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:54 AM

Sounds like the best thing to do would be to let your dealer troubleshoot the entire thing. Like ultratech said, riding with that oil will tear stuff up. Are you noticing metal shavings or silver color in your oil?

Let us know what the issue is once you have it nailed down. I don't know how much you paid for your Viking, but relative to the prices of stuff on the market today you might be better off just dealing with this minor headache and paying for it. Give us an idea of what the dealer charged for Diagnostics and then to fix the issue. It doesn't seem too difficult if it's an injector issue.

https://youtu.be/XjA8reEK61I

I want to keep my eye out so please post once you figure it out.
Ultratec and Chuggy500 like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I've got it parked. I've only ran it a few hours to verify it was still diluting fuel. I bought the viking new four years ago. The local dealer that I was going to have service it isnt really above board. My family had some service work done a few years ago and a $20 dollar part cost them over $500 by the time the dealer was done. I've got two more to choose from but neither has great service reviews to be honest. I've got a pdf of the service manual and the injector will come out as soon as the new one arrives. I've also got seafoam in the tank was hoping that would help if it was the injector.
Ultratec and bd_skrillz like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:33 PM

cool. let us know...
Ultratec likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey guys,

I think the issue might be resolved. I pulled it out yesterday and put in some Lucas fuel treatment along with the Seafoam already in the tank and it puttered for a bit but seemed to clear up. We ran a compression test to verify the engine was good and got a 90 on a cheap gauge off Amazon. Ultratec was right on there is nothing wrong with the engine. With the valves all adjusted now and a clean (reoiled) air filter I let it run for an hour today and took it on a small trip. I did not see any increase in the oil level. All of the valves were tight when I first started so wondering if its a combination of a dirty injector and tight valves. I'm still going to replace the injector when it arrives though. Fingers crossed. I find working on the Viking rather easy with a little guidance. Thank you all for the help. If you guys don't mind I will probably drop in a few more updates on what I learn. I was drooling over a Ranger 900 or 1000 XP. Too be honest this Viking has been bullet proof till this spring. I read the Polaris units are somewhat unreliable?
Ultratec and Chuggy500 like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:50 PM

Great. Keep us informed. If you don't mind, take a couple of pics of the injector and what it looks like when you're installing it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page