Viking Forum banner

Any deer hunters?

173K views 750 replies 68 participants last post by  buckg2 
#1 ·
I had a decent year.....4 from Mississippi and Looziana......

See less See more
#398 ·
great job Casper, if you're happy with your deer that's all that matters. I may talk a lot about deer needing another year to grow but I've taken a lot of smaller deer in my time and I've been talked down to before because I should have "let him grow" but every deer I've taken I've been thankful for and wouldn't change a thing. at some point I have just changed my priorities, I hope no one ever feels like I'm taking anything away from something they should be proud of with an animal they have harvested. congrats on a great deer!

#399 ·
thanks monkey, and thanks kboyd. if i had private property i would let them walk and get bigger too. but i only hunt public land that has alot of hunting pressure so i have a tendency to take what i can get. i had all intentions of holding out for something really nice but when the time came to shoot or pass i chose to shoot. it was a split second decision and i dont regret it. sure i wish it wouldve been a 130-140 incher but hes nice enough for me. one of these days ill learn to have more restraint but for now a full freezer trumps a big rack. it doesnt help much either that i have absolutely no faith in getting one with a rifle so if i can get one with the bow im taking it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#400 ·
Good Job Casper, any deer your able to get in close and get it with an arrow is a good deer.

I have been cheating, farmers son has been hunting the stand that is in a thick nasty double fence line that leads up to the woods that my stands are in so he has been giving me a nightly report of whats going on out there and i haven't even had to put on my boots yet lol. So far its normally 6 does and 2 little basket racks that have been coming out of the woods from 2 different spots into the picked bean field but the huge cornfield is still standing on the other side of the woods so I'm sure he is only seeing the young and dumb ones right now.

Hmmmmm.......Come to think of it, he may have seen something big using that fence line while running beans and hasn't said anything if he is committing to that stand this early when he has a prime spot with a swamp a couple fields over. Might have to take a little stroll back there this weekend.

#401 ·
thanks walkntall!
haha. yea if hes spendin that much time in one stand id venture to say hes not just enjoying watchin the basket racks. lol.

#402 ·
hahaha, I like the way you think walkntall, our friend that leases the property next to us hasn't hunted it hard or cut trails the last couple years, this year he was in there early and cut fresh trails and has been in there at least twice so...I'm thinking there is a big one lurking around. My dad stopped by yesterday and told me one of the local farmers found a huge 14 point dead in his bean field but he wasn't sure which field. I'm calling the guy I know this evening to see which field it was. there's a bean field just a few hundred yards from the backside of us, I'm really hoping it wasn't that field

#404 ·
Well done! No pun intended.;)

#406 ·
All you experienced hunters, you'll love this.

I've never seen a decent sized buck on my property during normal shooting hours. Well, this evening it happened. A big bodied 6 pointer started rubing some branches about 30 yards from my stand. I took aim and tried to thread the needle between some brush AND MISSED.

Well, he looked up, sniffed and then started milling around again. So then he comes out of the brush and I was holding my draw for like a thousand years. Let it fly AND MISSED.

So I he looks up at me and I turn into a statue. He stares at me forever and then goes to milling around again. So I get a 3rd opportunity and once again I try to thread the needle between some brush. It's an 18' stand but at this angle I'm more than 20' above him. I shoot AND MISS.

All out of arrows. So you know what he does? He turns around and walk right in front of me and quarters away. BUT I'M OUT OF ARROWS. LOL! I'm such a noob!

#408 ·
Hey Skrillz, I think we have all had these stories, the only problem I can see is your not supposed to tell anyone about them!!

#407 ·
Ahhhhh!!! Amazing. I shot and missed at 35 yards. Another doe comes right in my POV seconds later. Get another arrow but couldn't connect. Thanks for sharing your story!

#411 ·
Skrillz, I think the universe is telling you to practice from your treestand, trim some more shooting lanes and carry at least four arrows lol.

I did the same thing when I first started bow hunting but with a doe, shot at her three times and actually dropped my fourth arrow while trying to keep an eye on her and trying to put it on my bow. I finally just yelled at her and waved my arms all around and made funny faces, she looked at me, bobbed her head a few times and turned and slowly walked away. you're not alone buddy, always think of this every time you see one you want to harvest, "stay calm, pick a spot" it always helps me to concentrate when I run that through my head. glad you shared the story

#416 ·
same thing happend to me on a doe when i first started hunting. i missed twice and hit the third time. the bad thing was that i hit the tree she was standing behind. i was all out of arrows so i threw my quiver at her. she took off then. lol. i still get rattled and the shakes when i see deer and ill probably quit hunting when i dont but im just alot better at controlling till after the shot now

#413 ·
Ha. Thanks for the comments guys.

Don't mind putting my goofs out there. Cuz you know dang well when I pop a monster whitetail, I'll be postin it right here in all it's glory.

And I'll probably double lung it from 40 yards using an atlatl!!

Reactions: Camo-eps
#418 ·
WooHoo......

#419 ·
dammmm!!! thats i nice one jim congrats!!

#421 ·
Yeeeaaaarrrrr!!! Nice buck Jim!

#423 ·
i got $75 worth of carbon arrows and broadheads stuck in the ground somewhere around me. Gonna need to work part time at radioshack if this keeps up.k

#424 ·
lumenok......just saying

i used to paint the back half of my arrows white then florescent orange over that so i could find them. I think they called it cresting? I learned real quick years ago when i started out shooting a bow i didn't have the money to loose any arrows lol

Reactions: bd_skrillz
#426 · (Edited)
Let my buddy hunt my magic stand last night. He texted me near sundown and asked if I wanted a Spike. I said, "take him!" Buddy had enough meat so he gave me the buck. So now my freezer's full.

On another note, yesterday morning there was a large buck in my yard trailing two does. It was around 6:30 in the morning and I ran out there -in the frost- wearing socks and me basketball shorts. It was at least 8pts maybe more. I had that sucker's chest bobbin around in my crosshairs and the shot would have been more than safe at 75ish yards. But I didn't squeeze the trigger mainly because I couldn't steady the muzzy being on one knee with no rest. Still was fun.

This was only the 2nd buck I've seen in my yard in 10 years.

Then 30 minutes later I was packing my hunting gear in the truck (getting ready to go to my other hunt area) and a spike wanders into the yard. I had him in my cross-hairs too but spared him because he was small. Plus, I guess I wanted him to grow. IDK. Guess that's why I told my buddy to take the other spike later that day.

Long story short, freezer's full.

Boyd, I hear ya on the luminoks. I love those things. I need to buy more. But what I'm ready to do is get a crossbow with a scope. Will still get lumins if they make them for bolts. Probably do I assume.

#427 ·
i took my nephew out to my favorite spot saturday. at about 8:30am my nephew says uncle timmy deer! i said where, he said right in front of us. i couldnt see it. he said i think its a doe, wait no, its a little buck. so i told him i still couldnt see it. so i said he could only try to get adjusted when the buck had its head down. obviously it saw something it didnt like. (pretty sure it caught him moving) so it snorted and ran off. i hit the grunt tube and he snuck back in. he came down past us but he was about 40 yards out in some thick stuff. turns out he was a nice buck. about the size of the one i shot. i grunted and stopped him but he was too far out and there was too much brush for my nephew to shoot so we had to let him walk.
we kept sitting there because i know its a good spot and my nephew was tired so i told him to take a nap. around 11 oclock im standing up and lookind down over the hill when i get a funny feeling. i turn around and theres a 4pt standing 15 yards away and has no clue we are there!!! so i kick my nephew and wake him up and tell him theres a buck but i cant move so hes gona have to get the crossbow up on the bipods himself. well he couldnt do it and the buck put his head down and i quickly got the crossbow up for him. by this time the buck is only 10 yards away and still doesnt see us!!! the buck was quatered towards a pretty good bit but before i could tell him to wait he squeezed the trigger and hit the buck. it took off and i could see the arrow sticking out. seeing the arrow sticking out scared me because ive never had a crossbow bolt not go clean through so i guessed he hit the shoulder, but the shot looked good. anyway we ended up tracking the deer for a mile before we ran out of blood and we were not able to find my nephews buck. i was super bummed

#428 ·
So Caspar, just so you know, I'm eating the stew meat I cut out of our button buck. Just now fried some up in the cast iron skillet with salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder. I'm about to smack somebody's mamma cuz it's that good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#429 ·
awesome bro! thatll be some tender vittles for sure! wish i was there to sample some of that

#430 ·
finally got some blood in the viking.
This is immediately after I shot him, he fell where he stood

First archery kill
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#431 ·

#432 ·
yarrrrr!!!!

#434 ·
way to go aron!! congradulations!!! very nice first archery kill!!

#435 ·
Thanks guys, 4 years of work payed off today

Reactions: bd_skrillz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.