53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
pros and con's of a clutch kit

Seems like we have a lot of guys starting to run these. We have all done modificatios that when it was over with we wished we would of left well enough alone. So I'd like to know everyone's thoughts whether you have one or not. This isn't a thread to bash ANYONE. If it turns to that I'll ask the mods to shut it down. Seems now we have a very reputable supplier for these kits. My worry is this is a big time mechanical mod, and I'm not willing to sacrifice reliability for an once of performance. But with that being said anybody putting bigger tires on is already going down that road a bit with more strain on the wet clutch.
post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vendors chiming in would be very much appreciated.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Site Vendor

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
our sheaves are long term tested and they do nothing but help reliability with the best performance....Alba,benchmark,racers edge,redline racing and many others sell our sheaves cause of performance and reliability

James Davis
JBS - Home of the famous Hot Rod Sheave
If you have questions call me!!!
Cell - 304-673-2602
Office - 304-877-3419
Website - http://www.jbshotrodperformance.com/
Email to - jamesbodyshop@hotmail.com
Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
I was a skeptic myself for a while, but after talking to people who have a performence clutch kit and to James from JBS who makes them and has done hours and hours, and thousands of miles of testing I decided I wanted one. My experience with the JBS extreme sheave is nothing but positive. It helps performence all the way around from better acceleration and top end to better slow speed comfort and smoothness. And what finally sold me is the fact that it is literally a bolt on accessory that can be put right back to the way it came from the factory if you want, but after you ride your viking with one you won't. The "pro" category is full and the "con" category is completely empty

ITP Delta wheels
27x12x12 GBC mud hog tires
SSV works over head stereo
3500 lbs warn winch w/ yamaha multi mount receiver
Yamaha wind deflector
l.e.d. light whip from safeglowhips
Yamaha rear grab bar
Yamaha center console
4.5" SUPER ATV led lights
2" SUPER ATV lift kit
JBS Extreme sheave w/ 16g sliders
and slugged wet clutch
CREE led headlight bulbs
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have two questions. What is the reason that Yamaha doesnt use a different type of clutch if it is so much better and also how does changing the clutch affect your gas mileage? Sometmes there arent many fuel stops where I ride.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
I can't answer the mileage thing because I don't pay attention to that. The only fluid in the Viking I monitor is the beer in my cooler. But as far as the sheave is concerned, the only long term effect I can see it having is on the rider. He is going to be one happy guy and will never look back. I'm on another forum and there are TONS of rhino owners on there and almost every one of them has a sheave/clutch upgrade and have had it for years. This is a fairly easy modification for the "do it yourselfer" and as far as I am concerned, it is the best performance modification and "bang for your buck" that you can do. I highly recommend it to ALL Viking owners and if you are running larger tires, it's a no brainer!!!!

JBS for the WIN!

The Green Machine
Build Thread: http://www.vikingforum.org/forum/yam...n-machine.html
TGM Off-Road, come check us out on Facebook!

post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Site Vendor

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytroboy77 View Post
I have two questions. What is the reason that Yamaha doesnt use a different type of clutch if it is so much better and also how does changing the clutch affect your gas mileage? Sometmes there arent many fuel stops where I ride.
just about anything made by sxs manufacturer can be improved..just like any motor ever made in a sxs can be made better and faster...thats why i never stop testing...we was 1 year later getting our viking sheave out cause of all the testing we did...the other guy was done in 2 days...lol..and the difference shows it!!!

James Davis
JBS - Home of the famous Hot Rod Sheave
If you have questions call me!!!
Cell - 304-673-2602
Office - 304-877-3419
Website - http://www.jbshotrodperformance.com/
Email to - jamesbodyshop@hotmail.com
Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytroboy77 View Post
For the same reason they don't put 14" aluminum wheels and performence exhaust from the factory, they definitely have the ability it just comes down to cost of building and making a machine that is one size fits all. it's just like changing a sprocket on a sport quad, you customize your machine for your riding style. And honestly I have never payed any attention to gas mileage it's and off road vehicle, whether or not I'm using it for work or play I drive the way I want to and when it needs gas I put more in

ITP Delta wheels
27x12x12 GBC mud hog tires
SSV works over head stereo
3500 lbs warn winch w/ yamaha multi mount receiver
Yamaha wind deflector
l.e.d. light whip from safeglowhips
Yamaha rear grab bar
Yamaha center console
4.5" SUPER ATV led lights
2" SUPER ATV lift kit
JBS Extreme sheave w/ 16g sliders
and slugged wet clutch
CREE led headlight bulbs

Last edited by aronsrb; 03-11-2015 at 10:59 PM.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsrb View Post
For the same reason they don't put 14" aluminum wheels and performence exhaust from the factory, they definitely have the ability it just comes down to cost of building and making a machine that is one size fits all. it's just like changing a sprocket on a sport quad, you customize your machine for your riding style. And honestly I have never payed any attention to gas mileage it's and off road vehicle, whether or not I'm using it for work or play I drive the way I want to and what needs gas I put more in
I will say that the JBS Sheave kit and the wet clutch slugs are definitely the way to go. There is a noticable difference in the response when the wet clutch engages. This will definitely benefit the long term use of the wet clutch. Especially if bgger tires are in the plans. There is a post from a guy that had only 20 Hrs. on his wet clutch before he had to replace it. All due to running larger tires without doing the mod's. There is an old saying " An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure" Thansk JBS for the great products!!!
aronsrb and sandbagger like this.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
The answer is easy stock tires and stock clutch are perfect from yamaha put bigger heavier tires on and it is like any drivetrain in jeep or truck, put 37's on a f150 with 3.55 then go to 4.56 and tell me it ain't night and day difference, same applies to our clutches.....tight grip to hold belt better and slugs engage firmer.......overall a necessity when modifying, just like anything else just this applies to viking......JBS FTW don't believe us then just keep what ya got.....
sandbagger, robleticia and Jim1 like this.

2K17 Canam Defender
2K16 Yamaha Grizzly
2K16 Yamaha Wolverine rspec gone
2K14 Yamaha Viking gone
2K Honda 300 submarine gone and never forgotten
2K10 Honda 420 rancher gone
2K08 Kawasuki Brute Force 750 gone but not forgotten

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page